Welcome! My whole goal in starting Dee’s Garden and Great Garden gifts is to help you with hints and tips to save you time and money in your garden! Anything I can do to make your gardening easier and most importantly “FUN” is my greatest wish! I know that sometimes Gardening is a challenge and also picking out that perfect gift for the gardener in your life can be intimidating as well!
I really wish to have an “interactive site” and I will greatly appreciate your input! I have been gardening my whole life and I have also joined the Master Gardeners! Please feel free to contact me with any questions and concerns…I am here to help you!
My sister came to stay for a couple weeks during the summer and absolutely saved me hundreds and hundreds of hours of weeding. She taught me the neatest trick in gardening I have learned in all the years I have been gardening…..
CARDBOARD—-cardboard is my savior! (–along with Dee)…. She spent a couple weeks helping me and ALL summer long I had minimal weeds and accomplished so much more, not to mention the hours of enjoyment. It was nice to take a book out to the deck and enjoy the fresh air without looking at or fretting over weeds. It’s been a never ending job, my weeds…and as I am getting older I seriously thought I would have to reduce the size of my gardens. I just couldn’t seem to keep up anymore. SO she really really did save me and my gardens too! So what is the secret? Here is what we did:
- We cut any tall weeds to the ground. (don’t get real crazy or work to hard at this)
- We opened boxes and flattened them, removed any tape, labels or staples. (Tape and staples do not biodegrade so they make a mess later on) **
- We laid boxes between and around plants, cutting to fit. (make sure to overlap 4” to 6” and cover any holes, gaps or seams by the same amount) AND do not put the boxes to tight to your flowers or you may kill them too. I gave them a couple inches all the way around and filled this with thicker mulch.
- Spread mulch on top of boxes.
This serves several purposes:
- The weeds won’t grow back thru the cardboard for weeks, if not months and most of them die before then. Making it easier to maintain your gardens and they look fantastic. This is especially important if you are like me and have LOTS of gardens and large gardens.
- This helps to retain moisture.
- You will use WAY less purchased mulch to do your beds so it’s cost effective and well, basically free mulch filler.
- The cardboard biodegrades feeding your plants well and giving you more time to relax and enjoy your flowers.
- Your time savings is incredible, not to mention maintenance free….or little ongoing maintenance.
- Spare your back!
I also started this in my vegetable garden last fall. I have always wanted to do a no-till garden but didn’t think this was going to be possible to do for some time in the future. In my vegetable garden, I topped the cardboard with leaves and such from the fall. Read more about a no-till garden here.
**NOTE: You may also use newspaper if you layer it quite thick, using 12 to 15 or more pages or shredded newspaper and layer it thick. I don’t care for the newspaper, myself. It’s more work and messier and also tends to pop thru the mulch in several places. I DO however like to use the shredded newspaper in the vegetable garden on top of the boxes…I AM all about recycling!
Mulch King mulch blower and leaf vacuum on a trailer. Manufactured by King Machine & Tool Co., Massillon, Ohio. kmtco.com
Duration : 0:4:27
UNL Extension Educator John Fech talks about how organic mulching can benefit the soil in your home landscape
Duration : 0:1:58
Continue reading The Benefits of Mulching
The cost of everything is rising and that means the cost of garden mulch is increasing too. Here are some tips for mulch that are better for your garden.
Duration : 0:3:26
Continue reading Grimms Mulch
This year, for our annual mulch fundraiser, we decided to split the deliveries, also doing an “earlybird” delivery for those customers that wanted to get an early start on spreading. This was a pretty light load … the bulk of the mulch will be delivered on the 27th of this month.
Duration : 0:2:47
Continue reading EarlyBird Mulch Delivery
Shows CBI Grinder making mulch from stumps and wood debris. Processing material such as stumps to make mulch requires an aggressive and rugged grinder with the precision to deliver the desired size end product. For that reason, CBI equipment has been the undisputed leader in this industry for the past decade and the industrys top mulch manufactures turn to CBI again and again.
Duration : 0:0:43
Continue reading CBI Magnum Force Grinder Making Mulch
In this episode of Talking Trees, http://www.davey.com expert and ISA Certified Arborist Shawn Fitzgerald discusses the benefits of proper mulching, including some key pitfalls to avoid.
Duration : 0:1:40
Continue reading How to Mulch Your Trees
Our first attempt at a sheet mulch or no-till garden. Also see our July and August updates on how well things grew.
Duration : 0:2:18
Continue reading Sheet mulch garden